Thursday, June 02, 2011

Why I'm Boycotting Scotch


This is a tough one, but I feel it's something that needs doing.At least when it comes to certain brands.

The West Dunbartonshire Council in Scotland, in a fit of absolute bigotry voted unanimously to boycott products made in Israel. In fact, the resolution is up on their website.

It reads:

‘This Council deplores the loss of life in Palestine which now numbers well over 1,000. This Council also recognises the disproportionate force used by the IDF in Palestine and agrees to boycott all Israeli goods as a consequence. Officers should immediately cease the purchase of any goods we currently source, which were made or grown in Israel. Officers should also ensure we procure no new goods or produce from Israel until this boycott is formally lifted by WDC.’
No mention of course, of the 'disproportionate force' involved in using civilians as human shields, putting missile site in schools, mosques and hospitals, or shooting an anti-tank rocket at a school bus.

Now, West Dunbartonshire is also the site of some famous distilleries that manufacture some of my favorite brands...and in view of what I consider to be a stand with Hamas and a racist boycott of the only Jewish State on a par with the old Nazi slogan 'Kauft nicht bei Juden'('Don't buy from Jews'), I've decided that the fine products of the following distilleries are going to do without my patronage in the future:


Morrison Bowmore Distillers Ltd. info@morrisonbowmore.co.uk
Distillers of: Auchintoshan, Bowmore, Glen Garioch, McClelland’s

Loch Lomond Distillery Co. Ltd mail@lochlomonddistillery.com
Distillers of Loch Lomond, Scots Earl, Distillery Select, Glen Scotia, Littlemill, Croftengea, Craigslodge, Inchmurrin, Glen Douglas, Inchfad

Chivas Brothers media.relations@pernod-ricard.com
Distillers of Ballantine’s, Chivas, Royal Salute, Clan Campbell, Something Special, Passport, 100 Pipers, Imperial, Long John Aberlour, The Glenlivet, Glendronach, Strathisla, Longmorn, Scapa, Tormore, Jameson, Paddy, Powers, Walker Special Old, Wisers

This is the best list I have of the addresses of distiller's in the West Dunbartonshire Council region. Please let me know if I missed any inth ecomments section and I'll add them to the list.

Below is my letter to Morrison Bowmore Distillers, and similar ones went out to the other two, focusing on some other brands I've enjoyed:

Dear Sirs;
I've long been a fan of your fine single malt, Auchintoshan. But I'm afraid I won't be drinking it in the future, or any other Scotch made in the West Dunbartonshire area.

Recently, the West Dunbartonshire Council voted unanimously to boycott Israeli products. I saw this on their own website, and the unfortunate nonsense they're spouting makes no mention of the aggression visited against Israel by the Palestinians they're so enamored of..the rockets fired against Israel's civilians, the murder of the entire Fogel family including a 3 month old baby, the naming of streets and public squares after people who murder civilians, the making an honorary citizen out of a child murderer. It's quite obvious the Council could care less.

That's fine, they have the right to voice their opinion and stand with whom they wish, but so do I. And I cannot just ignore their choice to stand with evil and indecency. The symbol of Scotland is a thistle and it's motto, as I recall is 'No one hurts me unharmed'. I've always admired that, and I feel the same way.

So I'm afraid Auchintoshan and I are going to become strangers, along with a few other brands of Scotch I've long enjoyed. I've heard some of the Japanese brands have wonderfully improved their quality, and there are, after all other Scotches produced in other parts of Scotland. And as I'm sure you already know, I'm not going to be alone in that, as this becomes more widely known and more publicized via the Internet. In fact, I'll be publicizing it myself on my own website.

I'm afraid I simply don't have a choice in the matter, as someone who's interested in simple justice.

Regards,
Rob Miller, United States


I urge you to take a stand on this one, publicize this and write them yourselves.

( Hat tip Jameel at The Muqata)

please donate...it helps me write more gooder!

5 comments:

louielouie said...

far be it from myself to disagree with ff, especially when it comes to grammar. myself being grammatically challenged.
but i am afraid i have to disagree with ff on his letter.
you see, while i agree with the sentiment of the letter, i'm afraid that the repeated use of the word "afraid" gives the letter too much of an apologetic tone.

OT
i only buy sinclair gasoline. the reason? according to DOE records sinclair does not import mid east oil. i may be wrong on this. but i made the switch from bp/phillips years ago for this reason. i used phillips before they were bought by bp.

B.Poster said...

"Disproportionate force"... After reading that, my first thougt was "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!" But I know they like numerous others are not kidding. The second thought was "disproportionate" is a big word. My oh my someone in Scotland has a dictionary or something. Part of the trick in propaganda is to use really big words and phrases to wow the busy reader or listner with your supposed intellect. This way they are more likely to accept the propaganda at face value and not question it.

Now to actually address this "disproportionate force" thing. These "Palestinians" pose a far greater threat to the survival of Israel than Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan ever posed to the allies. Was the fire bombing of Dresden, Tokyo, and numerous other cities of the axis powers a use of "dispropprtionate force?" How about the use of nuclear weaons against Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Was that a use of "disproportionate force?"

By the logic used by the supporters of this it would be. The threat posed by the Nazis and Imperial Japan to America and the "West" was far less than the threat that the "Palestinians" currently pose to Israel. They will need to boycott America, Britian, and the other allies.

Hey wait a minute!! Isn't Scottland a part of Britian. They must boycott themselves.

Rosey said...

I am a bourbon drinker, so I have been boycotting scotch my whole life. I was going to point out, but you beat me to it, that Nikka makes some nice scotch-like whiskeys. Award winners no less. So, Kampai!

Freedom Fighter said...

There's also Lamphroaig, from the Isle of Skye and Glenfiddich, from the Highlands among a few others.Not to mention Black Bush and Bushmills, made in County Antrim, Northern Ireland.

Joe said...

This must be some "wacko" council. In communicating with one of their members, who has been re-elected 7 times, it surfaced that he believes the US was involved in the Lockerbea bombing. They live on a different planet!