Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dennis Prager Asks...Is There An Afterlife?

Dennis Prager is an author,lecturer and long time popular talk show host based in Los Angeles. One thing I enjoy particularly about him is his ability to go beyond the usual political themes and focus on what I call ultimate issues both onhis show and in his books and lectures. This video, part of his Prager University series asks "Is there an Afterlife?" Definitely worth the five minutes...and please feel free to comment on this one.




My own views on the subject? I certainly think there’s an afterlife, although I think the portrait of it painted by certain denominations is more of a selling point than reality. The afterlife as far as I can say is either something we can’t perceive of, or is different depending on our development in this world. It might also be true that we get the afterlife we believe we will, and as with many things, it might not be anywhere near as pleasant as we imagine!

There’s an old Jewish joke about a Rabbi and a vicious criminal in the afterlife. “Can you imagine this?” said the criminal? “No booze, no sex, boring with nothing to do and the food sucks,not even a decent steak to be had! It’s driving me crazy! You like it here?”

“Why yes,” said the Rabbi. “Milk and honey, the music of the angels praising the Holy One, the chance to study the Holy books and reflect on the most important issues of the soul? Wonderful!”

“I never thought heaven would be like this,” said the thug. “You and I lived such different lives.Why are both of us here in the same place anyway? I can’t figure it out”

“Oh, I can,” said the Rabbi. “You see, I am in heaven. You sir, are in hell.”

Selah.

No comments: